Saturday, March 9, 2013

Carrot-Potato Mash

On one of my recent browsings of Pinterest I came across a recipe for a dish made with roasted carrots. It sounded delightful! Though I wasn't sure if my kids would go for it. So I decided to modify it a little bit and add some potatoes in the mix. It was quite scrumptious and a fabulous side for our chicken and green beans.

Carrot-Potato Mash
Carrots
Potatoes
Cauliflower
Coconut oil, melted
Salt
Butter

I am sorry I don't really have an exact amount for anything. I just kinda eyeballed it to get the amount I wanted. Probably about similar amounts of carrots and potatoes and a little less cauliflower.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut up your carrots into carrot sticks. Toss with the melted coconut oil. I used around 2 tablespoons. But the amount will vary depending on how many carrots you end up using. Just make sure you use enough to coat the carrots nicely. :) 
Roast the carrots in the oven for about 40 minutes or until nice and tender and browned. Stir them once halfway through cooking time.
Meanwhile, peel and cut up your potatoes and cauliflower and cook in boiling water until tender.
Once all your veggies are cooked and tender, puree` them together with butter and salt to taste. The more butter and salt the better! :) I just used my kitchen aid mixer to blend them all together. Some of my carrots weren't quite as tender as I would have like so there were some bigger chunks that didn't want to blend up. My girls and I liked it that way but my step-son was not happy with it since he doesn't like cooked carrots. He ended up not even trying it because he could see the carrot pieces. All the more for the rest of us I guess! :) Next time I might use my vita-mix to puree` the carrots first and then blend everything together so there won't be chunks. 

This is one of my favorite side dishes now! Even better than plain old mashed potatoes! One of these days though I think we'll try the original version with just the carrots and cauliflower. Roasted carrots are delectable! And good for you! :)

Blessings!

2 comments: